Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas in Iraq

Christmas in Iraq is, for lack of better description, different. Doesn't quite feel like Christmas, doesn't look much like Christmas, but its still Christmas. We make do with what we've got. It isn't easy being away from home for anyone, but I especially feel for the guys that have wives and kids back home. I can't imagine how tough it is for them. I know its really the first Christmas I've spent away from home, but I fear its the first of many missed holidays for me. For the first time since I got to Iraq, we had a whole day off today. From 0600 today until tomorrow at 0600, I'm free. With the exception of a couple of events, I haven't been "on call" like I am the rest of the week, ready to roll on a mission at a moment's notice. It has been wonderful. I was able to go to the gym and drop off my laundry unafraid of the 1/2 mile sprint back to the CHU to grab my gear and head to the truck. War doesn't wait for a time thats good for you. I'm reminded every day that there are still those in tis country that don't want us here. I have a feeling they are far outnumbered by those that appreciate what we have done and continue to do. Today was good, the guys decided to cook out, so we had bbq chicken and chips for lunch and sat around listening to music and watching movies. Several games of spades and dominos started up, a couple people gathered around with a guitar, weapons cleaning parties and the like. It has been good to see everyone have the opportunity to relax and enjoy everyone else's company. We're not exactly family, and its not exactly home, but its all we've got. The Colonel came by today with Christmas gifts for all my guys, and several cards and letters from care packages sent by the FRG and soldier's wives. Skype has made my holiday a lot more manageable, I was able to make some phone calls back home and talk longer than just a couple of minutes. As I'm sitting here, listening to "Rudolph drank the moonshine" and cleaning my M9, I'm thinking about home. I'm thinking about memories of Christmases past. I'm thinking about the lunch spread, and the foods that have become a yearly tradition that everyone looks forward to. The family has probably just finished lunch and the grandkids are gathered in the living room sorting out the gifts, while everyone else is enjoying a cup of coffee. I bet there's still snow on the ground, and I bet the tree is beautiful just like every other year. Everyone smiling, everyone laughing. It feels weird not to be there. Guess its something I'll have to get used to. Just a couple more hours until its time for work again. Time to put the harmonica away and pull the boots back on. Another day in Iraq.

2 comments:

  1. Oh - Sonshine - you made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you, I like sitting next to the other lefty at the dinner table. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete