Sunday, November 29, 2009

Boots on the ground

Well, so far I've been in Iraq for about two days. I figured I ought to check in and let everyone know I'm here safe. Phone service isn't the best, but I've still managed to make a couple calls. Kirkuk is OK I guess. It isn't great but I didn't really expect it to be. We are still getting settled in, most of my guys aren't here yet. I've actually already been on my first patrol, which went well. The unit we are replacing has been very receptive. I know they are glad to see us come in, because it means they're one step closer to going home. I know I'll probably feel the same way when its my turn to get home. I'm looking forward to the deployment, its what I signed up for, but that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to getting back home too. Kirkuk is a sight at night, the flames from burn pits and oil refineries light up the sky. It reminds me a little of oil country in Texas. Our Iraqi counterparts seem to be standing up very well, and are taking charge on a lot of missions. A lot of questions are still unanswered, but I guess that is part of the job. It really depends on how well we do. The officers in the unit we are replacing have been great hosts so far, offering as much information as they can. They are working as hard as they can to make our transition into their sector as smooth as possible. Thats it for now, more for later when all is more stable.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good so far! Glad you are able to call home and check in too!

    ReplyDelete