Saturday, February 6, 2010

Speicher

Spent pretty much the whole day yesterday trying to fly out to Taji. Had a weigh-in this morning followed by OPT with the Squadron Commander. Nothing like some "Ultimate Football" to get the blood flowing. Its one of the only times we're able to get all of the officers together in one place. It was cold, and it snowed for about half the game, but lots of fun. The snow kinda slowed down travel in Iraq a bit this morning. I couldn't believe it! I was pretty sure it was cold but I certainly didn't expect snow. I guess I can't complain about not seeing snow this year, even if it was mixed with rain and not enough to cover the ground. Heard they got more snow back at home, saw a few pictures online. I got one of the flights I needed, but the second flight was full by the time I got to Speicher. I'm sitting in the terminal here at Speicher right now, waiting to go to a "Cultural Immersion" course at Taji. I'm pretty sure I'll be the only LT going. Everyone I've seen thats going to the same place is Captain or above. There is a Major here that I flew with out of one of the Armor BN in our BDE. He's in charge of an STT in their sector. Speicher is OK, I got here just in time for dinner last night and spent the night in a tent. Dinner was less impressive than Warrior, but I wasn't expecting much. They had a small kitchen that gets supplied by the DFAC for transient guests. The bigger chow hall is a few miles away from here. Yesterday was the first time I had been in a Chinook, they're not so bad. To be honest, they look like they shouldn't be able to fly, but they get from A to B alright. I got a couple pictures flying over Kirkuk. I know its been a while since I've posted anything, I'm averaging once or twice a month. I'm trying to do this a little better. A lot has happened since my last post, a lot that I can't talk about. I'm doing just fine though, skype has been a lifesaver. I just wish my schedule allowed me to call any time other than 1130 at night and 7 in the morning. Lots of things are changing over here, the situation changes from day to day. Some things get easier, some more difficult. All in all its just work. Its only been a day since I've been separated from my platoon, I miss them already. It felt weird not walking out to the trucks this morning with them to go to work. Its only two weeks though, I'll be back soon enough. I just hope nothing happens to them while I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment