Saturday, April 3, 2010

Transitioning

We are a full week into transitioning from the Mobility Platoon to the STT/MiTT, and I have to say its going pretty well. Looks like we'll move to the new complex in less than a month from now. We're calling it Ligerville. There's a big back porch and a common room, with personal and shared rooms inside. Must say I'm looking forward to that. Far better than the shipping container I'm in now. So far we've been to the Brigade headquarters and each Battalion in Kirkuk, and its been interesting getting to know my new Iraqi counterparts. I have a feeling I've got my work cut out for me, and I know it will be overwhelming at times, but I'm pretty sure we'll do fine. Its a lot of responsibility. With the current drawdown and withdrawal plan, I may be the last American these Iraqi Officers have the opportunity to work with. That in itself is a huge burden, as we are the example that the future of Iraq will follow. At the same time its like being a part of living history, a legacy unlike any other. Not many officers, much less Lieutenants, get the opportunity to do something like this. Positions such as these are usually reserved for senior Captains and above. I am embracing the assignment though, and will work my hardest to do it right. In the end I know it will pay off. Its not the cool, kick down doors blow stuff up shoot shoot shoot assignment from the movies, but its effects will long outlast the tracer burnout of offensive operations. Right now its what the country needs to be able to pull out of a more stable Iraq, and I aim to see that when we leave, the country of Iraq can be self sufficient. Despite what you hear on the news, they are well on their way. Sure they have a few kinks to work out.... We as the United States took over 100 years to work out our differences, I don't expect Iraq to be any different. The Iraqi Officers and NCOs I'm working with now are very professional and welcoming. I've only been here for a week and already I feel welcomed as I walk in. They all know me by name already. You wouldn't believe where I work now. Its one of Chemical Ali's homes. When you walk in there is a spiraling marble staircase atop three arabian arches, all marble floor and tin ceilings. It is in disrepair, but I'll bet it was a sight back in its prime. In front of the building are ancient sumerian ruins, just south of Kirkuk city. Thats all for now, more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment